Chance are you’ve got all sorts of things around your house that run on batteries–especially “button batteries,” which are those round, flat ones. And chances are you think those batteries are are going to stay inside of whatever device they’re in. Sorry to disappoint, but you may be wrong.
Every 90 minutes, a child under 18 goes to the emergency room for a battery-related incident, according to a new study by the Center for Injury Research and Policy of The Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. That’s twice the rate from 1990. The number of batteries swallowed by children more than doubled from over the past 20 years. More than 80 percent of the time, the culprit is a button battery.