If you’re a parent (or grandparent or uncle or aunt or good friend) and find yourself wondering what to get for the special kids (and sometimes the adults) in your life, there’s a great new resource in town–one that’s chock full of info on the very best toys and the top places to find them.
YourNeighborhoodToyStore.org just launched in September and it’s designed to be a one-stop place where you can find local toy stores, learn about specialty toy makers and their creations, and even connect with industry experts. YourNeighborhoodToyStore.org’s goal? To show you what they call the “woohoo factor”–that “yippe-I-found-the-perfect-toy” feeling you get when you’re having a great time playing.
Okay, YourNeighborhoodToyStore.com is run by ASTRA (the American Specialty Toy Retail Association), but much more than just another online toy store. Here’s just some of what you can find there:
- A calender of local toy-related events
- Toy buying guides by age–there’s even a section for special needs kids
- The latest trends in toys and educational play
- Informative articles written by real industry experts on how to find the best toys and on what toys and games are most appropriate for each child.
- The benefits of shipping locally (for example, you’re supporting your local economy and maybe even helping create jobs, you’re more likely to get knowledgeable salespeople and a bigger selection of specialty products than you might find at a big chain store), and you may even be helping the environment)
- An easy-to-use store locator.
Full disclosure: I’m participating in an ASTRA-sponsored post and am being compensated. However, the opinions are purely my own. Compensated or not, I never write about positive reviews of things I don’t like.